On January 21st, the Greater Vancouver Japanese Canadian Citizens’ Association held its Keiro-kai at Nikkei Place for seniors 70 years or older. This event was thoroughly enjoyed by the over 160 attendees who were treated to a wonderful lunch from Fujiya and an afternoon of entertainment. The GVJCCA would like to thank Tonari Gumi, Nikkei Centre, all donors, and volunteers for wonderful day.
On March 17th, 2012, the Greater Vancouver Japanese Canadians Citizens’ Association will be holding its Annual General Meeting at Nikkei Place from 2 – 4 PM in the GVJCCA office at Nikkei Place. We are currently accepting nominations for our Board of Directors for the upcoming term. The GVJCCA is seeking individuals who will be able to work within the Japanese Canadian community and the JCCA’s budgetary confines in maintaining its mandate and its purposes. If you are not aware of some of the purposes, they are outlined below:
• developing and maintaining a communication network with multicultural societies in Canada and internationally
• promoting the appreciation and study of the arts and culture of Japanese Canadians through the organization of community and cultural events
•educating the Canadian public about the history and cultural heritage of Japanese Canadians and the preservation of these values
• the education of the citizens of Canada in the various responsibilities expected in Canadian citizenship
• protecting and promoting the rights and freedoms of all individuals without any discriminatory practices
• and publishing a forum in the means of a journal for issues significant to its members, persons with Japanese ancestry and others of interest.
At this AGM we will be looking at future needs and plans for the GVJCCA. Please join us in working to building a stronger tomorrow for our children and children’s children and our aging Nikkei Community.
Have a great month and Year of the Dragon!